With £5000 total prize money, E-Club runs two pitching competitions sponsored by Santander and a business plan competition sponsored by Grant Property.
The Santander pitching competitions
The first of two Santander Bank sponsored pitching competitions will be held on the 18th November during Global Entrepreneurship Week. Up to six student (or recent student) entrepreneurs will pitch their business ideas to a panel of judges and the club membership. The winner will receive a cheque for £1,000 provided by Santander Bank. This is a great opportunity for the participants to hone their presentation skills. Participants will have 5 minutes to pitch their idea and then take questions from a panel of judges in a Dragon's Den-style format fro 5 minutes. The winner will be announced during the drinks reception afterwards.
All participants are invited to attend a dinner later that night with the judges so that a more detailed debrief and discussion about the various plans can take place.
To apply for a pitching slot please send a summary of your business plan (max 300 words) to email@example.com by 11th November 2013.
Deadline: 11th November
Eligibility: All University of Edinburgh students are eligible to apply. We also accept applications from University of Edinburgh graduates if they graduated in 2012 or 2013. If you are part of a team, please nominate one individual to pitch.
Grant Property Business Plan Competition
This business plan competition is limited to either individual postgraduate students from the Business School or teams of University of Edinburgh postgraduate students of which at least one must be from the Business School.
- Business Plan Competition
- Next deadline: 12th November 2013
- Prize: The winning entrant will receive a prize of £3000, generously donated by Grant Property.
[ -/+ ] Format of Business Plan
- Flexible - does not need to conform to any given business plan template.
- Simple - to catch the imagination of potential backers and to keep the prescriptive 'box ticking' element to the minimum.
- The submitted document may simply be a proposed business model, with many of the traditional business plan elements stripped out. However, the management team must be presented, and the required level of finance must be presented and justified.
[ -/+ ] Crucial elements of plan
- What is the product or service, and how will it generate income.
- Where will it be placed in the market, and what are rival or complementary products.
- How much money is required to launch the product and carry it forward successfully?
- Who are the members of the management team?
- Why will it be successful as a business?
[ -/+ ] Eligibility and deadlines
The competition is open to individuals or teams. In the case of individuals, it is open only to Business School postgraduate students on programmes taking place during the academic year 2012-13. In the case of teams, postgraduate students from other Schools within the University of Edinburgh on programmes taking place during the academic year 2012-13 may apply as long as there is at least one postgraduate from the Business School on the team. Only one plan may be submitted by each applicant.
To enter the competition all applicants to register their interest with a short outline (Max 400 words) of their proposed business plan by 6th October 2013 to Jo Young at firstname.lastname@example.org. The purpose of registration is to provide the School with an idea of the likely number and nature of applications. This will assist the organisers in the administration of the competition. Late registrations of interest are at the discretion of the organisers.
The deadline for the competition is 12th November 2013. Entrants should submit three hard copies and an electronic version to Jo Young. Entries will be shortlisted and these will be presented to the judging panel in November (close to the postgraduate graduation ceremony) in the Business School.
Shortlisted entrants will be notified of their slot a week prior. The winner will be announced at the drinks reception following the postgraduate graduation ceremony.