Entrance to the PhD by Management programme is strongly competitive. Consider increasing your chances of a successful application by exceeding the minimum programme requirements.
Apply early. Supervisors can accept students on a first-come, first-served basis throughout the year.
Minimum academic requirements
- A Masters degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas
- Evidence of above-average academic achievement (more than 65% overall) in your Masters, including a dissertation with distinction. Your official transcript and grading scheme must be supplied on submission of your application.
You need to consider your research proposal and other supporting documents before you can complete your application.
Your proposed research
Before applying, you need to write a research proposal. For guidelines on how to write a proposal, see Your research proposal
We strongly recommend that you identify a potential supervisor and contact them directly. Find a potential supervisor by browsing our research areas
You will require:
- Degree certificates and transcripts, including the grading scheme.
- Contact details for two academic referees or two academic written references
- Evidence of English-language competence (for applicants whose first language is not English). See accepted certificates below.
- Justification for part-time study (if applying for this mode of study)
Check our Guidelines for supporting documents
Minimum English-language requirements
If English is not your first language, you will need to satisfy one of the following requirements:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0 (with no score lower than 6.0 in each section)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT: 100 (with scores no lower than 20 in each section)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 67 (with at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): an overall score of 185 (with no less than 169 in each skill)
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): an overall score of 185 (with no less than 169 in each skill)
Conditions and exemptions
- No results from testing systems other than those listed above will be accepted.
- Your English-language certificate must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree course.
- A degree from an English-language university in lieu of test scores may be accepted in some circumstances.