Want to be an Entrepreneur in Residence?
Entrepreneurs in Residence play a key role in fostering, encouraging, and supporting entrepreneurship at the University of Edinburgh Business School. Within the School, the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Group carry out rigorous research, deliver research-informed teaching to both undergraduates and postgraduates, and engage with the business and enterprise community.
We now want to invite new Entrepreneurs in Residence to come forward who want to make a difference to our students, staff, and the wider business community of Edinburgh.
This might be through mentoring student-led businesses, giving guest lectures or talks to students, and helping academic staff to better engage with the entrepreneurial community. But we don't have a fixed agenda. We want you to be entrepreneurial.
As George Mackintosh, our current Entrepreneur in Residence says:
"I've been associated with the Business School since 2007 and my role as Entrepreneur in Residence has been a tonic, a rewarding diversion, an education, and a lot of fun! I've been in the startup to small-to-medium and now to very nearly big company journey since 208 and the Business School has so often cleared my head and kept me hinged to leading business academic thinking. Come on board—give a little back!"
|Entrepreneur in Residence|
|Duration||Up to 2 years|
|Deadline for Applications||14 February 2020|
Role and Expectations of the Entrepreneur in Residence
The Entrepreneur in Residence will work collaboratively and meet regularly with Professor Francis Greene (or another academic staff member in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Group).
Activities that an Entrepreneur in Residence could include (but are not limited to):
- Increasing the relevance of our teaching
- Mentoring student businesses
- Giving guest lectures and talks to students
- Acting as an ambassador for the Group and the School
- Developing the engagement profiles of academic staff
- Increasing the impact of academic research
- Helping academic staff access research funding
Benefits to the Entrepreneur in Residence
- Be part of a vibrant community of entrepreneurs, academics, and students from the Business School and the wider University
- Help younger people realise their entrepreneurial ambitions
- Work with academic staff in a leading-edge business school
- Library card and access to University of Edinburgh IT services
The Business School looks to ensure equality and fairness in all of our processes. Your appointment to this position will be based on your experience and your Entrepreneur in Residence plans, irrespective of gender or ethnic group. It will help if you have startup and business growth experience, a passion for making a difference, can work magic with no resources, and have a willingness to work collaboratively and in a team setting.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an informal interview to further discuss their ideas and how they can add value to the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Group and the Business School with a panel made up of staff from the School.
How to Apply
Email the completed form to Professor Greene by the deadline of 14 February 2020.
If you wish to contact Professor Greene, Head of the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Group, please email him in the first instance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Points to Note
- These are voluntary unpaid roles. As such, a volunteer may discontinue the work at any time for any reason, and the School may end the arrangement at any point during the agreed period without notice.
- Entrepreneurs in Residence will become Business Associates of the Business School.
- You will receive an induction covering the University's practices regarding areas such as Health and Safety, and support.