- Tuesday 20 February 2018
- Candace Jones; Chair Global Creative Enterprise; University of Edinburgh Business School
Beauty, and how we think of what is beautiful, is rarely connected to the creation and evolution of markets. Jones' current research examines how the most profane and ugly material - reinforced concrete - moved from sewage systems, sidewalks and ports to the primary building material for the most esteemed cultural buildings and sources of tradition - churches and parliament buildings. For this transition to occur, the innovation of reinforced concrete was re-evaluated and reconceptualized, shifting the definition of beauty and enabling the creation of a new market for cement producers and concrete specialty providers.
The evening will conclude with a drinks and canapé reception.
- 17:15: Arrival time; Inaugural Lecture commences promptly at 17:30
- 17:30: Welcome from Professor Dorothy Miell
- 17:40: Professor Candace Jones: Beauty and the market: Dynamics of innovation and evaluation
- 18:30: Q&A
- 18:45: Drinks and canapé reception
- 19:30: Carriages