- Thursday 10 October 2019
- Dr Michael Rovastos; Director of the Bayes Centre; University of Edinburgh Ian Ritchie CBE, Chair/NXD of over 40 start-up high-tech businesses
This presents both opportunities and challenges for NXDs, who can bring much needed business acumen to help achieve successful growth, but who also may lack some of the knowledge and expertise required to fully add value to their Boards. The recent Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Region Deal is intending to launch 400 start-up companies over the next ten years—companies that will need guidance and expertise from experienced business people to achieve growth, both through funding and organic expansion.
This session will explain and de-mystify the Data Revolution landscape and the opportunities that DDI, AI, machine learning, and so on, can bring to these sectors. Our speakers will also explain the opportunities and challenges for NXDs: how to address these, and what criteria are required to be effective on the Boards of these businesses. There will also be case studies focusing on real companies where, working in small groups, delegates can learn first-hand the practical requirements of how to be a successful Chair or NXD able to drive fast sustainable growth in a complex and challenging world.
Overview of Further Upcoming Sessions
- 17 October: The Data Revolution – Ethical Challenges
- 24 October: Boardroom Dynamics and Crisis Situation
- 7 November: The Audit Committee
- 21 November: The Fusion of New Technology with Financial Services – FinTech: An opportunity for NXDs
- 5 December: The Remuneration and Nominations Committees
Discounts are available if you sign up to multiple sessions:
- 10% discount for 6 sessions: £2,160
- 10% discount for 7 sessions: £2,520
- 20% discount for 8 sessions: £2,560
For detailed information please see the course outline, or contact Professor John Amis who would be happy to discuss programme content and suitability: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)131 651 5545