- Wednesday 12 October–Friday 14 October 2022
- Martin Kornberger (Professor of Ethics in Management, University of Vienna)
- Niven Rennie (Director, Scottish Violence Reduction Unit)
- Will Linden (Deputy Director Research, Scottish Violence Reduction Unit)
- Professor John Amis (Chair in Strategic Management and Organisation and Co-Director, Centre for Strategic Leadership, University of Edinburgh Business School)
- Susan Murphy (Chair in Leadership Development and Head of the Organisation Studies Group, University of Edinburgh Business School)
- Chris Carter (Chair in Strategy and Organisation, University of Edinburgh Business School)
- Owen Kelly (Director of Engagement, University of Edinburgh Business School)
- Bill Graham (Senior Lecturer in Criminology, Abertay)
- Iain Murray (Director, Braveheart Industries)
- Callum Hutchison (former Development Officer, Scottish Violence Reduction Unit)
- Tony Bone (Defence Lawyer, Tony Bone Legal)
- Maureen McKenna (Former Director of Education Service, Glasgow City Council)
- Dave Caesar (Senior Strategic Advisor, Health and Workforce Directorate, Scottish Government)
Who is it for?
This course is for senior leaders in public sector organisations with responsibility for developing or implementing strategy.
- 12 and 13 October: 09:00–18:00
- 14 October: 09:00–13:00
|Standard||£750||17:00, Monday 3 October|
|Early bird||£675||17:00, Friday 9 September|
Please note: the course fee includes all daytime catering and teaching materials, as well as two social programme activities in the evenings on day 1 and 2.
There is a 20% discount for alumni of the Business School.
The Scottish Violence Reduction Unit (SVRU) is a true public sector innovator, having introduced new and effective methods and strategies of policing. When they started in the 2000s, SVRU changed the conventional logic of policing with an approach informed by epidemiology; namely, the idea that violence spreads and is preventable. The case will be a great learning opportunity for participants with interest in managing and influencing strategically across sectors.
Over the course of 2.5 days, you will have the opportunity to learn from experienced University of Edinburgh Business School faculty members, as well as a number of public sector experts working for or alongside the Violence Reduction Unit.
By engaging with this case and this course, participants will:
- Understand how strategy works in practice
- Have awareness of organisational, cultural, and political dimensions of strategy making
- Learn from a leading UK public sector organisation
- Understand how to create impactful strategies
- Have awareness of the unintended consequences and paradoxes of strategy
- Be able to critically reflect on leadership in the public sector
Teaching will include theory inputs and tools for thinking strategically in participants' home organisations. Participants will work with the live case study on the Violence Reduction Unit and discuss, in groups with fellow participants of senior public sector leaders, how to translate lessons into your organisation.
|17:30–21:00||Whisky tasting and dinner|
|17:45–18:30||Social programme (TBC)|