Professional experience requirement
A minimum of 5 years' work experience is required.
We're looking for:
- Managerial experience, such as exposure to developing strategy around managed teams, projects, and tasks
- Individuals from all levels of the organisation—not just CEOs and CFOs
- Professionals from a variety of sectors
Experience can be from any industry including the public sector, charitable organisations, or the arts.
Send us your CV for a brief review:
Minimum academic requirement
You will need a UK first-class or 2:1 honours degree in any subject, or an equivalent overseas qualification.
If you do not meet the minimum academic requirement, you may still be considered if:
- you have professional qualifications with substantial work experience, or
- you do not hold a degree or professional qualifications but you have a very strong employment record demonstrating a high degree of responsibility
If you do not meet the minimum academic requirement, we may require you to complete the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) which is an internationally-recognised assessment of analytical, numerical and verbal reasoning.
If we require you to take GMAT, we would require a score of 600 as a minimum to qualify for our MBA programmes. The GMAT is not a compulsory part of the application process, but if you have a score that you wish to report to us then this would be welcomed.
We will accept results from the GMAT Online exam while it is available.More about GMAT
Applicants who are Non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals should note that it is not possible to study a part-time programme on a Tier 4 (student) visa.
However, other types of immigration permission for the UK may allow part-time study. If you wish to apply for this programme and you think that your immigration permission would allow you to do so, please contact the Student Immigration Service for further advice.
Applicants should also note that the Executive MBA is not a distance-learning programme. On-campus attendance at courses is required at regular intervals as outlined in the programme structure. Therefore potential applicants should verify their eligibility to study in the UK before applying.
The minimum academic requirement is a UK 2:1 honours degree in a related subject or an equivalent international qualification.
Some examples of equivalent qualifications:
- Canada: mid B+; 3.3+ (4 point scale); 7.3/8+ (9 point scale)
- China: Band D; 80-85%+
- Germany: 2.5+ (reverse 5 point scale); Sehr Gut/Gut
- India: 1st Class degree (60%+)
- Nigeria: 2:1
- South Africa: 2:1/1st
- USA: GPA 3.25+ (4 point scale)
If your home country is not listed above, consult the minimum grade point average (GPA) required by following the link below.Entry requirements by country
- The ranking of the university at which you studied is considered when we determine whether or not your degree is equivalent to a first or upper second-class honours degree in the UK.
- If your degree is not of the required standard and you do not have highly relevant work or other experience, we will normally reject your application.
- Meeting the degree requirement doesn’t ensure acceptance. A higher standard may be needed for your application to be competitive for admission or funding.
- Other equivalent qualifications can be requested from the Admissions team.
- A conditional offer can be made if you are waiting for a final degree result or a language test result.
You must demonstrate English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each section)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT (including Special Home Edition): total 100 (at least 20 in each section)
- C1 Advanced (formerly CAE) and C2 Proficiency (formerly CPE): total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE (Integrated Skills in English): ISE III with a Pass in all four components
- PTE (Pearson Test of English): total 70 (at least 59 in each section)
Your English language qualification must be no more than two years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency, in which case it can be no more than three and a half years old.
Degrees taught and assessed in English
We also accept an undergraduate or postgraduate degree that has been taught and assessed in a majority English speaking country, as defined by UK Visas and Immigration:
We also accept a degree that has been taught and assessed in English from a university on our list of approved universities in non-majority English speaking countries.
If you are not a national of a majority English speaking country, then your degree must be no more than three and a half years old at the beginning of your programme of study.
More on English Language RequirementsEnglish language requirements
Other important points to note
- If you already have an English language certificate then you can include this with your application. However, if you have not yet taken a test, we will still process your application and you will be able to upload your results when you receive them.
- A conditional offer may be given to you if you do not yet meet our minimum English requirement. But you must provide evidence that you have reached the minimum English requirement before we can provide you with an unconditional offer.
- We advise you to start working towards your English language qualification as early as possible to ensure that you have achieved the required standard in time to start the programme. If you require a visa, you must have achieved your English qualification and have met any other conditions to qualify for an unconditional offer, which is a requirement for the CAS. The University will commence issuing CAS from June onwards.
Optional pre-sessional English courses
The English Language Education offers summer pre-sessional English language programmes intended for students who plan to study at the University of Edinburgh.
English for Business Masters
This programme focuses on improving English language skills for effective participation in the University of Edinburgh Business School MBA and MSc programmes. If you have been accepted by the School and have already met your English requirement, you may want to attend this course to brush up on your English skills.
General English for Academic Purposes
This programme is intended for international students who need to improve their English language level prior to commencing a programme of study at the University of Edinburgh. At the end of the course, students will undertake an assessment which can be used to meet the English requirements of their Masters programme beginning in September.English for academic purposes summer courses