Practitioner Focused Projects
During your MSc you may select courses which are practitioner focused and consultancy based. Engaging with practitioners in this way assists with the real-life application of marketing theory, and creates opportunities to contribute to real business challenges. Projects offer the opportunity to engage directly with clients and present your findings back to the business.
Past companies have included:
- Cobbs Bakery - Group Marketing Project to launch evening dining and rebranding of their Edinburgh Café
- Frisky Froyo Yoghurts - Group Marketing Project to target new Edinburgh audiences and sell more frozen yoghurt in winter
- Dixons Carphone - developing new digital marketing and customer experience ideas
- Dominion Cinema - Group Marketing Project to raise awareness and footfall for this independent cinema
- Edinburgh Airport - A cross-programme optimisation challenge to solve a real-life business problem alongside the Airport's Planning, Commercial, and Aero teams
Throughout the year, the School gives students the opportunity to engage with industry and business professionals in their own environments.
- Developing your knowledge of an industry, sector, or geographical location in order to make the best career choices
- Getting a feel for the culture, people, and values of particular companies
- Building your network of industry professionals and alumni
We run different types of treks:
- Local Treks: involve visiting organisations in and around the Edinburgh area
- Industry Treks: take place over the course of two or three days and are designed to give insight to a particular industry through visiting a series of related organisations, typically in a location away from Edinburgh
- Thematic Treks: generally programme-specific and focus on issues surrounding employability and the main learning outcome of your programme.
Past trek locations for our Marketing programme have included Tesco Bank, Manchester Football Club and Scottish Rugby.
Within modules of the programme our academic team bring in senior figures from relevant international organisations to talk about specific subject matter and its application to real world working challenges.
These lectures are followed by the opportunity to network further with the speaker and gain valuable career insight and advice from experienced professionals.
Organisations represented in the past include:
- British Airways - airline pricing strategy and implementation
- Irn-Bru - understanding brands
- Fonemedia - mobile marketing
- 80 Days - click-through optimisation