- Academic entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneurial ecosystems
- Innovation & entrepreneurship
- Regional innovation systems
- Small & medium size enterprises (SME)
- Technology transfer & commercialisation
- Technology transfer & university spinouts
My research focuses on the geography of innovative entrepreneurship. I am particularly interested in questions about entrepreneurial ecosystems and the role in which localized social and economic structures affect the entrepreneurship process and firm strategy. I take an evolutionary and institutional perspective towards the geography of entrepreneurship by studying how different entrepreneurial environments develop and evolve within places and how this influences firm startup strategy. I am also currently carrying out research on entrepreneurship in resource economies such as Aberdeen and Newfoundland.