You will need a UK first-class or 2:1 honours degree in any subject, or an equivalent overseas qualification.
Supporting Your Application
- Relevant work experience is not required but may increase your chances of acceptance.
- Preference will be given to those with grades above the minimum requirements due to strong competition for places on this programme.
To help you build a strong application, please refer to our selection criteria.
Applications from Current Undergraduates
Final year undergraduate students are welcome to apply, so long as your studies will be completed prior to the MSc programme commencement date.
In addition to academic and professional requirements, international students will have to adhere to immigration guidelines.Overseas Students Advice
The minimum academic requirement is a UK 2:1 honours degree in a related subject or an equivalent international qualification.
Some examples of equivalent qualifications:
- Canada: mid B+; 3.3+ (4 point scale); 7.3/8+ (9 point scale)
- China: 80-85%+; B+
- Germany: 2.5+ (reverse 5 point scale); Sehr Gut/Gut
- India: 1st Class degree (60%+)
- Nigeria: 2:1
- South Africa: 2:1/1st
- USA: GPA 3.25+ (4 point scale)
If your home country is not listed above, consult the minimum grade point average (GPA) required by following the link below.Entry Requirements by Country
- The ranking of the university at which you studied is considered when we determine whether or not your degree is equivalent to a first or upper second-class honours degree in the UK.
- If your degree is not of the required standard and you do not have highly relevant work or other experience, we will normally reject your application.
- Meeting the degree requirement doesn’t ensure acceptance. A higher standard may be needed for your application to be competitive for admission or funding.
- Other equivalent qualifications can be requested from the Admissions team.
- A conditional offer can be made if you are waiting for a final degree result or a language test result.
You must demonstrate English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
English Language Tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each section)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT (including Special Home Edition): total 100 (at least 20 in each section)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE (Integrated Skills in English): ISE III with a Pass in all four components
- LanguageCert International ESOL: C1 Expert - Pass overall with a Pass in each component
Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, LanguageCert International ESOL or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
Degrees Taught and Assessed in English
We also accept an undergraduate or postgraduate degree that has been taught and assessed in a majority English speaking country, as defined by UK Visas and Immigration:
We also accept a degree that has been taught and assessed in English from a university on our list of approved universities in non-majority English speaking countries.
If you are not a national of a majority English speaking country, then your degree must be no more than three and a half years old at the beginning of your programme of study.
More on English Language RequirementsEnglish Language Requirements
Other Important Points to Note
- If you already have an English language certificate then you can include this with your application. However, if you have not yet taken a test, we will still process your application and you will be able to upload your results when you receive them.
- A conditional offer may be given to you if you do not yet meet our minimum English requirement. But you must provide evidence that you have reached the minimum English requirement before we can provide you with an unconditional offer.
- We advise you to start working towards your English language qualification as early as possible to ensure that you have achieved the required standard in time to start the programme. If you require a visa, you must have achieved your English qualification and have met any other conditions to qualify for an unconditional offer, which is a requirement for the CAS. The University will commence issuing CAS from June onwards.
Optional Pre-Sessional English Courses
The English Language Education offers summer pre-sessional English language programmes intended for students who plan to study at the University of Edinburgh.
English for Business Masters
This programme focuses on improving English language skills for effective participation in the University of Edinburgh Business School MBA and MSc programmes. If you have been accepted by the School and have already met your English requirement, you may want to attend this course to brush up on your English skills.
General English for Academic Purposes
This programme is intended for international students who need to improve their English language level prior to commencing a programme of study at the University of Edinburgh. At the end of the course, students will undertake an assessment which can be used to meet the English requirements of their Masters programme beginning in September.English for Academic Purposes Summer Courses
For further advice and guidance, please contact Postgraduate Admissions.