Apply early. Supervisors can accept students on a first-come, first-served basis, and the programme may close early if it reaches capacity.
Minimum Academic Requirements
Entry to the PhD programme is competitive, and usually requires that applicants have the following minimum qualifications:
- Normally a postgraduate master's degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas (we accept applications from those still currently studying for a masters, but any offer will be conditional on successful completion at the required standard).
- Evidence of above-average academic achievement (more than 65% overall) and normally a postgraduate master's dissertation with distinction (UK equivalent). MBA or master's students without a dissertation are welcome to apply and should normally provide evidence of distinction level work (UK equivalent).
- Your official transcript and grading scheme must be provided when you submit your application.
Please note: If you are currently studying for, or have recently completed an undergraduate degree and do not yet have a Masters qualification please consider applying for our MSc by Research programme.
You need to consider your research proposal and other supporting documents before submitting an application. Only complete applications showing all necessary documents will be considered.
The one exception to this is you may submit your English language certificate after you have submitted your online application for the PhD programme. Any offer made would be conditional on provision of your English certificate at the minimum level.
Your Proposed Research
Before applying, you need to write a research proposal.
Please note: Your research proposal is liable to be submitted to the Turnitin plagiarism detection system.
We strongly recommend you make contact with a potential supervisor before applying. In your application, you must name a potential supervisor (or up to three in order of preference) for your application to be considered.
English Language Requirements
You must demonstrate English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
English Language Tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each section)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT: total 100 (at least 20 in each section)
- PTE Academic: 67 (at least 56 in each of the Communicative Skills sections)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE (Integrated Skills in English): ISE III with a Pass in all four components
Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, PTE Academic or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
Degrees Taught and Assessed in English
We also accept an undergraduate or postgraduate degree that has been taught and assessed in a majority English speaking country, as defined by UK Visas and Immigration:UKVI list of majority English speaking countries
We also accept a degree that has been taught and assessed in English from a university on our list of approved universities in non-majority English speaking countries.
If you are not a national of a majority English speaking country, then your degree must be no more than three and a half years old at the beginning of your programme of study.
More on English Language RequirementsEnglish Language Requirements
If you are an international student, you may need to apply for permission to study in the UK. Student Administration provides information on immigration and visa requirements for students.Immigration Information