Dynamics of Product and Process Innovation Networks & their Influence on Firms' Performance—Evidence from a Textile Cluster in Pakistan
My PhD project aims to understand the formation and dynamics of the product and process innovation networks in a textile industrial cluster in Lahore, Pakistan. The contribution of this project lies in the proximity, network dynamics and innovation performance literature. The final thesis is based on three research papers with an overarching and a concluding chapter. The first paper addresses the proximity question and investigates the role of multiple dimensions of proximity as the determinant factor for facilitating the formation of product and process innovation networks. The second paper examines the network dynamics question and investigates the influence of firm-level attributes and network endogenous mechanisms on the formation and dynamics of product and process innovation networks. The third paper aims to explain the innovative and export performance of firms in relation to their network position in the product and process innovation networks.
- Technology & innovation management
- Supply chain operations management
- Social innovation
- Small firm networks and co-operation
- Regional innovation systems
- Product innovation
- Organisation studies
- User innovation
- Inter-organisational relationships
- Entrepreneurial ecosystems
- Geographies of innovation
- Actor-network theory
- International business
- Innovation & entrepreneurship
- Industrial relations
I am currently a PhD candidate in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Studies Group at the University of Edinburgh-Business School (2014–2018). I completed my Master's by Research in Science, Technology & Innovation Studies from the School of Social & Political Sciences, University of Edinburgh, in September 2014 before starting my PhD. I completed a Bachelor's in Textile Engineering from National Textile University, Faisalabad, Pakistan (2002–2006), and a Master's in Management from the University of Engineering and Technology Taxila, Pakistan (2008–2010). I have two research papers published in conference proceedings, one research paper in a journal, and a book. In addition, my work has been accepted by leading academic conferences such as DRUID18, Schumpeterian Society Conference (ISS 2018), INFORMS 2017, and British Academy of Management (BAM2018) etc.
Regarding my work experience, I worked in the textile industry of Pakistan as a professional engineer for a couple of years after completing my bachelor's degree. Then, from April 2011 to May 2013, I worked as a Research Associate at Preston University, Islamabad, Pakistan on a research project titled "Nanotechnology in South Asia—building capabilities and governing the technology in Pakistan". I moved to Edinburgh for further studies in September 2013.
- Owais Anwar Golra, (2016) “Understanding Innovation and Learning in Emerging Countries: A Case of Textile Sector in Pakistan”, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, ISBN 978-3-659-87661-5, Germany, GmbH.
- Owais Anwar Golra, Jawad Tariq, Nadeem Ehsan and Ebtisam Mirza, (2012) “Strategy for introducing 3D Fibre Reinforced Composite Materials” Procedia Technology, Elsevier, No.1, pp 211-216
- Owais Anwar Golra, Jawad Tariq and Nadeem Ehsan, (2012) “Comparative study of different stationary flats on C 60 Q Pack Carding Machine and its impact on Fibre Behavior & Waste % Reduction” Procedia Technology, No.1, pp 205-210
- O. A. Golra, A. Luqman and Dr N. M. Butt, (2011) "Strategy for Introducing Nanotechnology in Textile Industry of Pakistan", International Journal of Chemical & Environmental Engineering ISSN: 2078-0737, No.2 (4), pp. 276-283.
Conference Papers (Peer Reviewed)
- Golra, O., Rosiello, A., & Harrison, R. (2018) 'Formation and Dynamics of Product and Process Innovation Networks' Paper presented at 17th Schumpeterian Society Conference, Seoul, Korea, 02/07/18–04/07/18
- Golra, O., Rosiello, A., & Harrison, R. (2018) 'Formation and Dynamics of Product and Process Innovation Networks' Paper presented at DRUID18 Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 11/06/18–13/06/18
- Golra, O., Rosiello, A., & Harrison, R. (2018) 'Proximity and its Impact on the Formation of Product and Process Innovation Networks' Paper presented at DRUID18 Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 11/06/18–13/06/18
- Golra, O., Rosiello, A., & Harrison, R. (2018) 'Proximity and its Impact on the Formation of Technical Networks of Product and Process Innovation' Paper presented at 4th Geography of Innovation Conference, Barcelona, Spain, 31/01/18–2/02/18