Apply early. Supervisors can accept students on a first-come, first-served basis, and the programme may close early if it reaches capacity.
For entry to our PhD programmes in Accounting, Finance, and Management, you must hold a postgraduate master's degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas showing evidence of above-average academic achievement, including an overall taught average of 65% or more and a dissertation at distinction level.
The minimum entry requirements for the PhD Financial Technology programme are a postgraduate master's degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas showing evidence of distinction level work (or the international equivalent).
For detailed entry requirements for each programme please see the below links:
- View PhD Accounting Entry Requirements
- View PhD Finance Entry Requirements
- View PhD Financial Technology Entry Requirements
- View PhD Management Entry Requirements
English Language Requirements
You must demonstrate English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence. You can do this either by providing an approved English certificate, or providing a degree certificate.
English Language Certificates
We accept the following English language qualifications as evidence when they meet the minimum grades:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each section)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT (including Special Home Edition): total 100 (at least 20 in each section)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE (Integrated Skills in English): ISE III with a Pass in all four components
- LanguageCert International ESOL: C1 Expert - Pass overall with a Pass in each component
Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, LanguageCert International ESOL or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
Degrees Taught and Assessed in English
For evidence of English competency we accept an undergraduate or postgraduate degree that has been taught and assessed in a majority English speaking country, as defined by UK Visas and Immigration:
We also accept a degree that has been taught and assessed in English from a university on our list of approved universities in non-majority English speaking countries.
If you are not a national of a majority English speaking country, then your degree must be no more than three and a half years old at the beginning of your programme of study.