You must be registered on a programme at another higher education institution (your home institution), from which you plan to ultimately graduate.

English Language Requirements

Visiting research students are also expected to meet English language requirements.

If you are a short-term visiting research student attending the University of Edinburgh and the below applies to you, then you are not required to meet published English language requirements:

  • Studying for no more than 12 weeks
  • Will not be enrolled on a credit-bearing course
  • Do not require a Tier 4 visa

For all other visiting students, if English is not your first language, you must hold an accepted English language certificate confirming your scores meet the following minimum levels:

  • IELTS 6.5 (6.0 each section)
  • TOEFL-ibt 92 (20 each section)
  • Pearson PTE 61 (56 each section)
  • Cambridge CAE or CPE 176 (169 each section)

Your English-language certificate must be no more than three years old at the beginning of your degree course, unless you are using an English language test such as IELTS or TOEFL for entry, in which case it must be no more than two years old.

A degree from a UKVI Majority English Language Country English-language university may be accepted in lieu of test scores and must be no more than three years old at the programme start date.

See List of Countries