Research in Strategy
Professor Kenneth Amaeshi discusses his research into corporate social responsibility and Africapitalism.
The Strategy Group studies contemporary issues of societal and organisational importance at the local, national, and global levels. Members of the group draw on a wide range of social science theories. The group possesses research expertise in the public, private, and third sector organizations. Our knowledge production is organised around four distinct themes:
1. Strategic Change and Leadership
- Processes of strategic change
- Practice of strategy and change
- The impact of calculative practices on strategy-making
- Organisational and institutional change
- Power, accountability, and strategic change
- Discursive aspects of strategic change
2. Global and International Strategies
- Global and international strategies worldwide, including foreign direct investments, trade, and knowledge / technology management within multinational enterprises
- Top level approaches to strategy, finance and accountability worldwide, including strategic investments and controls
3. Globalisation, Sustainability, and Society
- Accountability and trust in organisations
- Corporate responsibility and sustainability
- Global governance, ethics, and business in society
- The impact of globalisation and neoliberalism on organisations
4. Service Management
- Service management in the public and private sectors
- Service co-production and the co-creation of value
- Innovation and change in public services
- Digital and virtual services
- Accountability and leadership in service businesses
Research Centres and Networks
Subgroups of the Strategy Group are involved with two principal centres and networks.
Centre for Strategic Leadership (CSL)
The Strategy Group supports the Centre for Strategic Leadership, a research centre focused on fostering an interdisciplinary understanding of strategic leadership.Visit the CSL Website
Sustainable Business Initiative (SBI)
The Globalisation, Sustainability and Society subgroup supports the School's Sustainable Business Initiative, which aims to advance current understanding of the business-society interface.Visit the SBI Website
Details of past and present research projects involving strategy are detailed on the Edinburgh Research Explorer.
- with George Elliott; CA Plural Chair of private and public listed companies, former CFO Wolfson Microelectronics plc
- Calendar Thursday
- Clock 17:00–21:00
- Navigate Conference Room
Session 2: 'The Role of the NXD in Growing a Company' – focussing on the issues and challenges arising with entrepreneurial firms including managing the founder and other investors, setting strategic direction, adhering to the business plan, building an effective board, dealing with conflict and fundraising.
Internationalization Strategies of Family Firms In Different Historical Contexts: Critical Junctures And Imprinting
- with Tanja Leppäaho; Professor of Growth Entrepreneurship and Academy of Finland Research Fellow at LUT University
- Calendar Wednesday
- Clock 15:30–17:00
- Navigate Lecture Theatre 1A
This interactive seminar invites Tanja Leppäaho as an expert in the fields of international entrepreneurship, networking, process, family entrepreneurship, sustainable entrepreneurship and qualitative methodology. Tanja will especially discuss her paper about internationalization strategies of family firms, followed by a Q&A session with our PhD students.
Marketing Research Seminar: Therapeutic servicescapes and market-mediated performances of emotional suffering
- with Dr Leighanne Higgins; Lancaster University
- Calendar Wednesday
- Clock 14:00–15:30
- Navigate Room G.05
Dr Higgins and Dr Hamilton will present their ethnographic study on therapeutic servicescapes recently published in the Journal of Consumer Research. As part of their talk, they will also share their experiences of writing and revising the paper through the review process.
- with Dr Jo Young; Director; Electv & The Scientific Editing Company
- Calendar Tuesday
- Clock 18:00–21:00
- Navigate 1st Floor, MBA Suite
Join us for a Mini-Masterclass and learn how our Executive MBA can accelerate your career.