- Public sector reforms, particularly the Audit Society
- The role of accounting and transparency in New Public Management
- Performance Management in public services
- The impact of the Global Fiscal Crisis on government activities.
This includes research on charities, government (local and central) and the NHS.
Research activities include:
- Director, Institute of Public Sector Accounting Research (IPSAR)
- Editor, Financial Accountability & Management
- Co Chair (with D. Hatherly), The New Thinking Group
- Co Chair (with P. Miller, LSE), The New Public Sector Research Workshop
- Co Chair (with M. Jegers (VUB) and B. Helmig (Mannheim), The EIASM Third Sector Research Workshop
- Chair, Scientific Committee, EIASM Public Sector Conference
- CIMA Research Board Member
- EIASM Faculty Visiting Professor, University of Mannheim since 2009
- Visiting Professor, University of Lund since 2010
- Visiting Professor, Politecnico di Milano since 2012
- Visiting Research Professor, Queen's University, Belfast from 2013.