Chair in Business Analytics and Programme Director for MSc Business Analytics
Dr Ouenniche is Professor and Chair in Business Analytics at the University of Edinburgh Business School (UK), Member of the Senate, Member of the Business School Executive Board, Head of the Management Science and Business Economics group, and Director of the MSc in Business Analytics. He holds a BSc in Mathematics and MSc in Operational Research from the University of Montreal (Canada), and a PhD in Operations Management from Laval University (Quebec, Canada).
His research portfolio encompasses a broad range of applications and a variety of research methodologies in descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics, and tackles important managerial issues in energy, manufacturing, transport, banking, and public sector policy. Some of his research is concerned with methodological contributions to the fields of optimisation, artificial intelligence, data envelopment analysis, risk modelling and analysis, and forecasting.
He acts as a Referee for over 30 academic journals, several international conferences, and several national and foreign research councils (e.g., ESRC - The Economic and Social Research Council of the UK; The Leverhulme Trust, UK; SSHRC - The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada; FCT - The Foundation for Science and Technology – the Portuguese public research funding agency; GACR - The Czech Science Foundation – the main public funding agency in the Czech Republic).
He is also a Member of the Editorial Board of eight academic journals and is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications. His research is published in Operations Research; European Journal of Operational Research; Computers and Operations Research; Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications; Expert Systems with Applications; International Journal of Operational Research; Journal of the Operational Research Society; Annals of Operations Research; International Journal of Production Economics; International Journal of Production Research; Technological Forecasting and Social Change – An International Journal; International Review of Financial Analysis; Applied Financial Economics; Applied Economics Letters; Energy Economics; Applied Energy; and the Journal of Developing Areas, amongst others.
His teaching experience is international and covers a wide range of areas such as Operations, Logistics, and Supply Chain Management; Performance Analytics; Operational Research & Management Science (e.g., Prescriptive Analytics with Mathematical Programming, Business Analytics with Heuristics); Business Statistics and Methods of Research; and Business Forecasting/Predictive Analytics.
- Design & Operational Management of Supply Chains:
- 1. Cyclic Scheduling of Manufacturing Operations
- 2. Routing & Scheduling of Vehicles and Crews and Performance Optimization of Transportation Systems for Merchandise and People
- 3. Continuous Improvement Programs.
- Applied Combinatorial Optimization:
- Design of Predictive and Prescriptive Decision Support Systems using Mathematical Programming and Artificial Intelligence methods, including Linear Programming, Non-linear Programming, Integer Programming, Heuristics, Metaheuristics, and Hyperheuristics.
- Data Envelopment Analysis:
- Design of Performance Evaluation & Benchmarking Methodologies and their application in areas such as Forecasting (e.g. Forecasting Methodology and Evaluation & Selection of Forecasting Methods), Banking (e.g. Assessment of Efficiency, Productivity, and Risk Profiles of Commercial Banks), and Investment (e.g. Assessment of Efficiency and Risk Profiles of Companies listed on Stock Exchanges, Design of Financial Portfolios, Design of Asset Pricing Models).
- Forecasting Systems:
- Design of forecasting models for both continuous and discrete variables with applications in Finance (e.g., Price Information on Stocks and Strategic Commodities) and Marketing (e.g., Consumers’ Purchasing Behaviour).
- Risk Modelling and Analysis:
- Bankruptcy and Distress Prediction, Credit Scoring, Electronic Security and Fraud Detection.
- Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs):
- Supply of public services and Design of Decision Support Systems for both hard and soft infrastructure PPP projects.
- Resilience of Communities & Organisations:
- Design of Strategic Resilience Solutions for Governments, the Private Sector, and Nations.