Senior Lecturer in Sustainable Finance
Dr Theodor Cojoianu is an Associate Professor in Energy Finance at the University of Edinburgh. Theodor's work at the intersection between sustainability, data science and finance is focused on applying innovative research methods to the study of sustainable development issues. His work has led him to be invited as a Member of the European Commission's Platform on Sustainable Finance, where he advises the Commission on EU sustainable finance policy and on HM Treasury's Green Technical Advisory Group.
Theodor also serves:
- as Academic-in-Residence in Agent Green and Sustainable Nation Ireland
- on the advisory board of the EU Energy Efficiency Mortgages Initiative
- as a member of Green Finance Ireland
- as an Executive Committee Member on the Global Network on Financial Geography (Fingeo)
Previously, he held appointments in the sustainable finance space in both academic and finance industry organisations. He worked in academia within the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance at the University of St Andrews, the ICMA Centre at the University of Reading and the University of Edinburgh Business School. He was previously an analyst with MSCI ESG Research in London and affiliated with Sociovestix Labs and Sustainable Investment Partners.
Theodor received his D.Phil in Geography and the Environment from the University of Oxford and his MSc in Carbon Finance (Distinction) and MEng in Electrical Engineering and Management from the University of Edinburgh. Theodor presented professionally relevant insights to:
- Allianz Global Investors
- Banking and Payments Federation Ireland
- BNP Paribas
- Brunel Pension Partnership
- Environmental Agency Pension Fund
- Environment Agency Austria (Umweltbundesamt)
- Investment Innovation Benchmark
- Joint Research Centre of the European Commission
- International Finance Corporation / World Bank
- National Australia Bank
- other global financial institutions
Theodor’s work has been published in journals such as:
- Business Strategy and the Environment
- Environmental and Resource Economics
- Journal of Economic Geography
- Small Business Economics
- Research Policy
It has also been communicated for practice in high profile reports for international financial institutions looking to invest in the low carbon transition.
Theodor Cojoianu discusses his research on the contribution of finance to sustainable development and its positive impact.