1 Who is required to pay a deposit and how much?
A deposit is required from all applicants to the programmes listed below who accept an offer of admission, either conditional or unconditional, unless eligible for a deposit waiver, as detailed in point 5 below. The deposit will be offset against the tuition fee payable at the time of matriculation. Current deposit amounts are shown on the Deposit Payment Guide for each programme.
2 When must the deposit be paid?
The deposit must be received by the Business School by 28 days after the date of the offer letter. In the case of late applications an earlier deadline may apply. In this case applicants will be informed of the date by which the deposit must be received.
3 How can the deposit be paid?
Payments may be made by most major credit/debit cards using the University's online payment system, by cheque (in pounds sterling) or by BACS (bank transfer). See the Deposit Payment Guide for your programme for further details.
4 Implications of non-payment by due date
If the School has not received the deposit by the stated deadline, the application will be withdrawn without further notice. It is therefore essential that applicants have funding for their deposit in place before applying.
If an applicant is still interested in retaining a place on the programme but has for any reason not been able to pay the deposit by the deadline, the applicant should contact the School Admissions Office without delay to discuss the circumstances.
5 Deposit waivers
The deposit may be waived on proof of a scholarship covering full tuition fees having been awarded to the applicant by a recognised body, or proof of full sponsorship from an employer. Holders of partial scholarships must pay the required deposit.
6 Refund policy
- Applicants requesting a refund for any reason within 14 calendar days after the payment date will be refunded in full.
- Refund requests received more than 14 days from the payment date will only be considered if the applicant's visa application has been refused, or if the School has rejected the application due to failure to meet the conditions of offer which have been set. Proof must be provided and should consist of a copy of the official documentation received, for instance from the UKVI for visas, or the relevant language testing centre for English qualifications. Requests should be made at the earliest opportunity.
- If no attempt has been made to meet the required conditions after the conditional offer was made, the deposit will not be refundable.
- Applicants whose visa application is rejected due to fraudulent documentation or due to conditions which the applicant could have foreseen will not be eligible for a refund.
- Applicants deferring their acceptance of an offer will have their deposit retained by the School and automatically allocated to the following year. Applicants may only defer their offer once, and in the event that they decline their deferred offer, the deposit will not be refundable. If an applicant wishes to apply again in a future year and receives an offer, a new deposit will be payable.
- In the unlikely event that the programme is cancelled, a full refund of the deposit will be made.
All requests for a refund must be made in writing (by letter or email) to the Admissions Office by 1 October of the intended year of entry.
Emailing is the best way of contacting the Admissions Office. Please ensure that all details relevant to your query are included, including your student number.
+44 (0)131 650 9663
PGT Admissions Office
University of Edinburgh Business School
29 Buccleuch Place
Edinburgh, EH8 9JS