Apply early. Supervisors can accept students on a first-come, first-served basis.
Minimum Academic Requirements
You will need a UK first-class undergraduate degree or an equivalent overseas qualification. Applicants with a 2:1 undergraduate degree may be considered.
You need to consider your research proposal and other supporting documents before submitting an application. Only complete applications showing all necessary documents will be considered.
Your Proposed Research
Before applying, you need to write a research proposal.
Please note: Your research proposal is liable to be submitted to the Turnitin plagiarism detection system.
We strongly recommend that you identify a potential supervisor and contact them directly. If you are not able to identify a supervisor, you must identify one of the six subject groups.
You will need:
- Official degree certificates and transcripts
- Contact details for two academic referees or two academic written references
- Research proposal
- Evidence of English-language competence (further information below)
English Language Requirements
You must demonstrate English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
English Language Tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each section)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT (including Special Home Edition): total 100 (at least 20 in each section)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE (Integrated Skills in English): ISE III with a Pass in all four components
- PTE Academic: 67 (at least 56 in each of the Communicative Skills sections)*
*The University is phasing out the use of PTE Academic to meet our English language entry requirements.
- All those starting their degree with us in September 2020 will be able to take PTE Academic in place of another English language test.
- Please note that no offers made on the basis of PTE Academic can be deferred.
Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, PTE Academic or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
Degrees Taught and Assessed in English
We also accept an undergraduate or postgraduate degree that has been taught and assessed in a majority English speaking country, as defined by UK Visas and Immigration:UKVI list of majority English speaking countries
We also accept a degree that has been taught and assessed in English from a university on our list of approved universities in non-majority English speaking countries.
If you are not a national of a majority English speaking country, then your degree must be no more than three and a half years old at the beginning of your programme of study.
More on English Language RequirementsEnglish Language Requirements
If you are an international student, you may need to apply for permission to study in the UK. Student Administration provides information on immigration and visa requirements for students.