Group Consultancy Projects
During your MSc you may elect for a course which involves a consultancy project; this involves working closely with companies or businesses as part of a team to assist with a real-life active project.
In most cases, the client will ask you to write a report which you will research and develop during the taught component of the course. Furthermore, there is likely to be an opportunity to present your findings back to the business.
Topics range from broad, strategic issues to more specialised business matters. Your group will have to work together to produce clear and practical recommendations while meeting deadlines.
Throughout the year, the School gives students the opportunity to engage with industry and business professionals in their own environments.
- Developing your knowledge of an industry, sector, or geographical location in order to make the best career choices
- Getting a feel for the culture, people, and values of particular companies
- Building your network of industry professionals and alumni
We run different types of treks:
- Local Treks: involve visiting organisations in and around the Edinburgh area
- Industry Treks: take place over the course of two or three days and are designed to give insight to a particular industry through visiting a series of related organisations, typically in a location away from Edinburgh
- Thematic Treks: generally programme-specific and focus on issues surrounding employability and the main learning outcome of your programme.
Past trek locations attended by our Management students have included Dublin and Gran Canaria, and local trek visits have included J&J, AG Barr and Baillie Gifford.
Within modules of the finance programme our academic team bring in senior figures from relevant international organisations to talk about specific subject matter and its application to real world working challenges.
These lectures are followed by the opportunity to network further with the speaker and gain valuable career insight and advice from experienced professionals.
Organisations represented in the past include:
- Baillie Gifford
- Edinburgh Airport
- Tesco Bank