All spaces on this programme are linked to industrial projects. When submitting a programme application you can apply for one or more projects at the same time, or even submit a new programme application at a later date if a new project becomes available.
Full details of the Academic, English Language, and Application Requirements for your application are detailed below.
Applicants for the PhD in Financial Technology should have the following qualifications:
- A postgraduate master's degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas. Applicants may be accepted from those currently studying for a master's degree, but any offer will be conditional on successful completion at the required standard.
- Evidence of above-average academic achievement (equal to or more than 70% overall) and normally a postgraduate master's dissertation with distinction (UK equivalent) in finance, economics, informatics, physics, mathematics, engineering, or other relevant programmes with significant quantitative elements.
- Students with significant finance and technology industry experience, or with relevant professional qualifications who have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in the relevant programmes listed above will be given due consideration on a case-by-case basis.
- Your official transcript and grading scheme must be provided when you submit your application.
Please note: If you are currently studying for or have completed an undergraduate degree and do not yet have a Master's qualification, please consider applying for our MSc by Research programme. You can use this as a stepping stone on to any of our PhD programmes.
You must demonstrate English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence. You can do this either by providing an approved English certificate, or providing a degree certificate.
English Language Certificates
We accept the following English language qualifications as evidence when they meet the minimum grades:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each section)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT (including Special Home Edition): total 100 (at least 20 in each section)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE (Integrated Skills in English): ISE III with a Pass in all four components
- LanguageCert International ESOL: C1 Expert - Pass
Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, LanguageCert International ESOL or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
Degrees Taught and Assessed in English
For evidence of English competency we accept an undergraduate or postgraduate degree that has been taught and assessed in a majority English speaking country, as defined by UK Visas and Immigration:
We also accept a degree that has been taught and assessed in English from a university on our list of approved universities in non-majority English speaking countries.
If you are not a national of a majority English speaking country, then your degree must be no more than three and a half years old at the beginning of your programme of study.
More on English Language RequirementsEnglish Language Requirements
In order to apply for our Financial Technology programme you need to consider:
1. Which project do you want to join?
2. Do you have the supporting documents needed for your application?
Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered. Complete applications must contain all necessary documents, including a proposed supervisor or indicating a research group in the Business School.
Joining from Overseas
If you are an international student, you may need to apply for permission to study in the UK. Our Edinburgh Global office on provides information on immigration and visa requirements for students.