You will need a UK first-class or 2:1 honours degree in any subject, or an equivalent overseas qualification.
Supporting Your Application
- Relevant work experience is not required but may increase your chances of acceptance.
- Preference will be given to those with grades above the minimum requirements due to strong competition for places on this programme.
Applications from Current Undergraduates
Final year undergraduate students are welcome to apply, so long as your studies will be completed prior to the MSc programme commencement date.
In addition to academic and professional requirements, international students will have to adhere to immigration guidelines.Overseas Students Advice
The minimum academic requirement is a UK 2:1 honours degree in a related subject or an equivalent international qualification.
Some examples of equivalent qualifications:
- Canada: mid B+; 3.3+ (4 point scale); 7.3/8+ (9 point scale)
- China: 80-85%+; B+
- Germany: 2.5+ (reverse 5 point scale); Sehr Gut/Gut
- India: 1st Class degree (60%+)
- Nigeria: 2:1
- South Africa: 2:1/1st
- USA: GPA 3.25+ (4 point scale)
If your home country is not listed above, consult the minimum grade point average (GPA) required by following the link below.Entry Requirements by Country
- The ranking of the university at which you studied is considered when we determine whether or not your degree is equivalent to a first or upper second-class honours degree in the UK.
- If your degree is not of the required standard and you do not have highly relevant work or other experience, we will normally reject your application.
- Meeting the degree requirement doesn’t ensure acceptance. A higher standard may be needed for your application to be competitive for admission or funding.
- Other equivalent qualifications can be requested from the Admissions team.
- A conditional offer can be made if you are waiting for a final degree result or a language test result.
All applicants to the University will be asked to demonstrate a level of English language competency, regardless of their nationality or country of residence.
Options for demonstrating English language competency are detailed on the University's English Language Requirements page.Postgraduate English Requirements
Applicants taking an accepted English language test to meet their English language requirement must achieve the results shown below:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 7.0 (with no score lower than 6.0 in each section)
- PTE (Pearson Test of English): 67 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English): 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT: 100 (with scores no lower than 20 in each section)
- Trinity ISE (Integrated Skills in English): ISE III (with a Pass in all four components)
Please note that we accept the results from one certificate only: we do not accept multiple certificates from two or more tests each partially meeting our requirements.
Other Important Points to Note
- If you already have an English language certificate then you can include this with your application. However, if you have not yet taken a test, we will still process your application and you will be able to upload your results when you receive them.
- A conditional offer may be given to you if you do not yet meet our minimum English requirement. But you must provide evidence that you have reached the minimum English requirement before we can provide you with an unconditional offer.
- We advise you to start working towards your English language qualification as early as possible to ensure that you have achieved the required standard in time to start the programme. If you require a visa, you must have achieved your English qualification and have met any other conditions to qualify for an unconditional offer, which is a requirement for the CAS. The University will commence issuing CAS from June onwards.
Optional Pre-Sessional English Courses
The English Language Education offers summer pre-sessional English language programmes intended for students who plan to study at the University of Edinburgh.
English for Business Masters
This programme focuses on improving English language skills for effective participation in the University of Edinburgh Business School MBA and MSc programmes. If you have been accepted by the School and have already met your English requirement, you may want to attend this course to brush up on your English skills.
General English for Academic Purposes
This programme is intended for international students who need to improve their English language level prior to commencing a programme of study at the University of Edinburgh. At the end of the course, students will undertake an assessment which can be used to meet the English requirements of their Masters programme beginning in September.English for Academic Purposes Summer Courses
For further advice and guidance, please contact Postgraduate Admissions.